The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews


Private course - for members and their invited guests only.
   The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews Est. 1754

Where2Golf says: 

Somewhat confusingly, the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is now a separate and distinct organisation from the R&A. The former is simply a private members golf club, albeit one of the most prestigious in the world .... ask any one of its 2,400 members, who enjoy exclusive use of its iconic clubhouse. In 2004, as the Club celebrated its 250th anniversary, it devolved responsibility for a number of its roles to a newly formed group of companies collectively known as The R&A. These responsibilities included the administration of the Rules of Golf, the running of The Open Championship and other key events, and the development of the game in existing and emerging golfing nations.

The relationship between The Royal and Ancient GC and the Old Course St Andrews is also frequently misunderstood. The Club does not own the Old course or, indeed, any of the courses in St Andrews. It is one of only four 'Royal' golf clubs in the UK whose members use a public course shared by other golf clubs; the other three are Royal Montrose, Royal Perth and Royal Epping Forest.

It was not until 1853, that the Royal and Ancient Golf Club raised sufficient funds to begin construction of a purpose built clubhouse. The foundation stone was laid by former captain John Whyte-Melville, directly behind the first tee of the Old Course. In June the following year the imposing sandstone building was ready for occupation. The style was simple and uncluttered with tall windows under a low-pitched roof. Members of both the Royal and Ancient Golf Club and Union Club shared the premises, prior to the two bodies officially amalgamating under the Royal and Ancient title in 1877. Over the next 70 years a succession of six architects added to the building, taking it upwards and outwards to finally create the structure that is now recognised throughout the golfing world. Although few signs of the original building are visible, it still exists within the framework of today’s clubhouse, cocooned within the layers of subsequent development.

List of courses in Home of Golf

Map of courses in Home of Golf
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses

Making Contact

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews
Golf Place,
St Andrews, Fife KY16 9JD
Scotland
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses
Office   +44 (0)1334 460 000
Pro Shop   n/a
Fax

  +44 (0)1334 460 001

Email  
Website   www.theroyalandancientgolfclub.org
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses

About the course

The course: 18 holes. Seaside links.
Gently undulating terrain - easy to walk
 
Surroundings: Coastal duneland.
 
Designer: Many have contributed to the Old Course layout. Most recently: Daw Anderson (1850s), Old Tom Morris (1860s to 1900) and Dr Alister Mackenzie (1930s).
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses
  Men Back Men Front Women Front
Yards 6721 6566 6032
Par 72 72 76
SSS or Slope 72 71 75
 
At the Same Location:
The above distances are for the Old Course St Andrews, the "home course" of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club.
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses

How2Get There?

o.5 ml N of St Andrews

Essential information

Green Fees:
The Royal and Ancient Golf Club does not charge green fees; it is a private members club and not a golf course.
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses
Who can play and When?
Guests can only enter the Royal and Ancient clubhouse at the invitation of a member. Royal and Ancient's members play on the same public courses as played on by all golfing visitors to St Andrews, i.e. St Andrews Old course, New, Jubilee, Castle, Eden, etc. 
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses
Other Information


Practice facilities
Excellent
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses

Did you know?

The Society of St Andrews Golfers was officially formed in 1766. The club had, in effect, existed since 1754, during which year the "noblemen and gentlemen of Fife" started playing an annual competition for a Silver Club. The winner became the "Captain of the Golf" for the year.

In 1836, King William IV consented to become the club's Patron, conferring on the club the style and title of Royal. At this time, he also agreed with the club changing its name to the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews. William IV had previously granted the use of the Royal prefix to the Perth Golfing Society in 1833 ... the world's first "Royal" golf club. By royal prerogative, 10 Scottish golf clubs can now use the "Royal" title, namely: Aberdeen, Royal & Ancient (St Andrews), Burgess, Dornoch, Duff House, Montrose, Musselburgh, Perth, Tarlair and Troon.

The Golf Guide to the Top Courses

Location

The Golf Guide to the Top Courses

Click to enlarge Google map

Latitude: (56.343581)
Longitude: (-2.802363)
The Golf Guide to the Top Courses
Where2Golf.com 4,5
 

Find a course

Tip: to find a course quickly, type the first few characters of the course name
Golf course location on a golf map
 
Search this site
 

Newsletter

Not signed up yet?

Register now
 

Share us on


   Follow us on FB     follow us on Twitter
 

 
-
 
-

 
Where2Golf spotlights


Tournaments:
The American Express formerly known as the Desert Classic, and for many years played as the Bob Hope Desert Classic, will once again be decided on the Pete Dye designed Stadium course at PGA West (Jan 16-19).
The Players Championship:  for the 39th time, TPC Sawgrass, another iconic Pete Dye design, will host The Players Championship for one of the richest first prizes in world golf (March 12-15).
 
Who's Who: 
Pete Dye:  one of the greatest golf course architects of this or any generation passes away aged 94. His contribution to golf course design, and the legacy he leaves is immense.
Jack Nicklaus:  like Pete Dye a native of Ohio, actually started his golf course design career working together with Dye. In 1967 Dye asked Nicklaus to input to his design for The Golf Club in Columbus, Ohio. Two years later they worked together on the revered Harbour Town Golf Links in South Carolina.

Latest golf course reviews
Sutton Coldfield Golf Club: located to the north of Birmingham, occupies a small corner of the wonderfully expansive and natural environs of Sutton Park. Perhaps not as lauded as nearby Little Aston, and Copt Heath, this heathland gem also lays down a really enjoyable test of golf in a wonderfully natural setting. Read more... 
Walton Heath Golf Club (Old course): Top golfers and golf writers have long acknowledged Walton Heath as one of the finest heathland courses in the British Isles. In fact there are two courses here, the Old and New. Read more...
 
Most popular golf course videos